CMSA operates the largest wastewater treatment facility in Marin County. We treat and dispose of the
wastewater and biosolids collected from households and businesses in central Marin County. Approximately 6 billion gallons of wastewater are treated and released as clean effluent into San Francisco Bay each year, and we consistently meet and exceed all Federal and State regulatory requirements.
In October 1979, four of the local agencies that provided wastewater services in central Marin county entered into a Joint Powers Agreement (JPA):
- San Rafael Sanitation District
- Sanitary District No. 1 of Marin County
- Sanitary District No. 2 of Marin County
- The City of Larkspur
This agreement created a separate governmental entity, the Central Marin Sanitation Agency (CMSA), to oversee the construction and operation of a regional wastewater treatment facility. CMSA became operational in January 1985.
We Are Both Regulated and Regulators
CMSA has a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit issued
by the San Francisco Regional Water Quality Control Board which details the Agency's wastewater treatment and reporting requirements.
turn, regulate the commercial, industrial and institutional discharges into the sewage collection
system of our member districts.
Biosolids Reuse, Educational Programs, Environmental Services
Wastewater treatment is only part of what we do...
Each year about 6,500 tons
of biosolids are beneficially reused as alternate daily cover at the Redwood Landfill, and as land-applied fertilizer for feed crops for livestock.
We also have a comprehensive
pollution prevention program, lead an award-winning county-wide
water/wastewater public education program, and provide various environmental
services to local agencies.
- High level of regulatory compliance
- Awards received for facilities, programs and individuals
- Effective source control and educational programs
- Clearly presented, award-winning and transparent financial documents
- Talented and highly-skilled professionals recognized for workgroup and individual achievements
- Consistently provide safe working conditions for staff and outside contractors